No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Support

Quotes in thread titles turn into HTML-escaped entities when editing the title again

By Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer2019-04-24 19:10:54.298Z

A thread starter had quotes in their title and I needed to change something else in their title.
When I click edit, the title is showing me the & and " entities, but when resaving those will now get escaped so the displayed title ends up having the escaped entities in there.
Haha it's difficult to explain - try for yourself :)

  • 13 replies
  1. C
    Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer2019-06-17 11:32:35.806Z

    I'm having troubles with this in a specific post:
    https://forum.soundflow.org/-753/how-to-copy-paste-volume-gain-and-clip-gain-automation-when-using-the-field-recorder-package

    I noticed it since I saw it looking weird when I quoted the thread on Facebook:

    Edit: This may have been the wrong issue to add this to. I didn't re-edit the title, it was only edited once upon creating of the thread.

    1. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-06-18 11:47:42.856Z2019-06-18 12:56:31.540Z

      when I quoted the thread on Facebook

      Seems I can reproduce: I copy-pasted that link into a new Facebook post, and in the preview over at Facebook, my new (& not yet submitted) FB post appears as copy &amp; paste instead of copy & paste. Maybe Facebook fetches the title from the html <title> tag — which looks like this:

      <title>How to copy &amp;amp; paste volume gain and clip gain automation when using the field recorder package</title>
      

      meaning, I seem to have double escaped the & in the title text, right? The title text shoud be just as follows:

      <title>How to copy &amp; paste ...
      

      Edit: Yes this is an a bit different issue, anyway, I'll reopen this and fix, I think I found the buggy line

      1. CChristian Scheuer @chrscheuer2019-06-22 17:16:34.424Z

        Yes that's the exact problem :)

    2. Progress
      with handling this problem
    3. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-04-30 14:00:39.784Z

      Thanks for reporting. Will fix. B.t.w. this has annoyed me too from time to time. I think the problem is that Talkyad unnecessarily doulble-sanitizes the title.

      1. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Planned 2019-04-30 14:00:43.959Z.
      2. C
        Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer2019-05-06 04:28:35.993Zreplies toKajMagnus:

        FYI, this also appears in document titles (eg. &quot; ) - may be nice to fix as part of updating document titles to match the current thread :)

        1. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-05-08 05:42:55.970Z

          Ok thanks for the tips. I think I've fixed that, + this topic, in my current work-in-progress Git branch. The fix will be available ... probably at the end of next week. (Together with some other things that require a bit more testing.)

          1. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-05-18 10:22:13.374Z

            @chrscheuer This should now have been fixed over at your site.

            (Self hosted servers will auto upgrade in a few days.)

            1. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Done 2019-05-18 10:22:21.166Z.
            2. C
              Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer2019-05-18 10:26:59.211Zreplies toKajMagnus:

              Confirmed fixed!

              1. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-05-18 10:27:34.016Zreplies tochrscheuer:

                Ok thanks for verifying :- )

                1. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Started 2019-06-18 12:56:42.261Z.
                2. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-06-18 12:57:21.057Z

                  Ok so the <html><head><title> tag double escapes things, so if pasting a link into Facebook, & becomes &amp;, .... fixing ...