No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Issues

Server error when trying to get zxcvbn.js

By Jeff M @phoenix2020-10-28 15:35:19.955Z

I'm setting up Talkyard in Azure. So far, only http to test it. When I click continue I get:

Has the server stopped? Or did you just get disconnected from the Internet? Or is the hostname or port number wrong, cross-origin request blocked? [TyE0SRVR]

Details: "Error loading script [object Event] [EdELDJSERR]

Interestingly, I get a similar error when I use Chrome and try to "Sign Up" from If I use the Microsoft Edge browser, it works fine for domain. However, I still get the error for my install in Azure using the Edge browser. :(

Any direction forward to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Linked from:

  1. support-chat
  • 5 replies
  1. P
    Jeff M @phoenix2020-10-28 16:18:34.602Z

    I found out that I can curl successfully, however I cannot curl --> returns a 404. Likewise, if I try it from my browser, fails, yet succeeds.

    1. Progress
      with handling this problem
    2. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2020-10-29 11:14:44.458Z2020-10-29 11:22:57.210Z

      Hello Jeff, is a different machine on the intranet? But which machine is — that's the Talkyard server?

      Is there possibly any infrastructure, like load balancers or reverse proxies, between your client and Talkyard?
      When Talkyard asks for this script: zxcvbn.js, then Nginx will look for zxcvbn.js.gz (gzipped) but maybe if any proxy or load balancer removes some "Accept gzip" header, I wonder if that could cause problems.

      In any case, Talkyard ought to request .min.js — I can change that, and then this problem should go away.

      (You installed this repo: right? (that's the correct repo) but not: (for development only) )


      I'll try to repro via too

      1. P
        Jeff M @phoenix2020-10-29 13:17:36.011Zreplies toKajMagnus:

        One thing to note is that I'm behind a heavily scrutinized corporate firewall.

        I have installed this in Azure. There is an Application Gateway, which is a web traffic load balancer; this is The Application Gateway is in its own Network Security Group (nsg). Then I have Talkyard on a Ubuntu VM; this is The VM is in its own nsg as well.

        It's very possible that the load balancer is removing some "Accept gzip" header. That's a good idea to check & I will investigate. Strangely, I was able to "hack" a solution to get Talkyard to work; I can login, administrate it, add multiple users, post images, etc. This is what I did: I copied the zxcvbn.min.js to zxcvbn.js. Everything worked as expected then.

        I used this repo: git clone talkyard

        Thanks for your help!

        1. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2020-11-01 07:01:25.160Zreplies tophoenix:

          was able to "hack" a solution to get Talkyard to work; [...] I copied the zxcvbn.min.js to zxcvbn.js

          Ok then I even more think it's something weird going on with some in-between proxy server gzip configuration.

          I'm releasing a new version soon that uses zxcvbn.min.js instead, and thereafter I think all will work fine, also without copying min.js to zxcvbn.js any more. (And also, no need to reconfigure any load balancer or for you to do anything)

          1. P
            Jeff M @phoenix2020-11-02 16:33:41.509Zreplies toKajMagnus:

            Sounds good. Thank you!

            1. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Done 2021-01-03 22:00:29.911Z.